I was doing some research for something else I was working on and came across an interesting story in the Memphis Commercial Appeal. The article is from Nov. 2, 2001, the day after the Memphis Grizzlies played their first game in the city after relocating from Vancouver.
NBA Commissioner David Stern was on hand and had this to say:
“We love to be where we’re wanted…It means a lot to the NBA to be in a place that renews us. It helps not only us but the team in the sense of renewal.”
After reading that statement, I couldn’t help but think of the current situation the Sonics are in. You’ll have to draw your own conclusions.
Also of note from the article was this tidbit: The Grizzlies had sold roughly 9,500 season tickets as of that opening-night. Stern said that figure was well within the league’s projections.
“When the operations started we thought the range initially would be between 7,500 and 10,000,” Stern said. “That (season-ticket base) is pretty good in NBA parlance.”
After reading that last bit, I couldn’t help but wonder how the NBA then views OKC after residents gobbled up more than 10,000 season tickets for the Hornets’ first season when they knew the team was temporary, then swallowed up more than 12,000 in Year Two when the team was clearly headed back to new Orleans. Again, draw your own conclusions.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17613Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
- 13042Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 11234Dillon Overton rips former Sooners coach Sunny Golloway on Twitter
- 11211Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 10608'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 10120Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 7197Oklahoma football: New assistant Bill Bedenbaugh discusses state of OU's offensive line
- 6592Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6062New OSU CB Tyler Patmon, ex-OU QB Drew Allen among those to benefit from transfer rule
- 5967Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients