No truth to OKC Marshalls
There is a buzz on talk radio and Internet blogs and message boards today about the nickname of Oklahoma City’s new NBA team. People are under the impression that the team will be called the Oklahoma City Marshalls. It’s not the Marshalls. The rumor is quickly gaining momentum because when you type www.okcmarshalls.com into your address bar it sends you to the official Web site of the NBA, NBA.com.
Well, it used to. When you click on the above link or type it into your address bar now, it directs you to a marshalls.com that says it’s “Transforming Britain’s Landscapes.” The link changed minutes after I spoke with the creator of okcmarshalls.com, an Oklahoma City resident named Lucas Lawver. He was evasive when I asked him questions about it and I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the link changed moments after I spoke with him.
Lawvery told me his domain name has no official connection to the real team name, which has yet to be announced. An NBA spokesman confirmed that Marshalls has no relation to the league, saying, “No steps have been taken on that front at this point. We’re still working on the process.”
Lawver created the domain name back in March like many other people who bought domain names in hopes that the team would settle on that name. It’s unclear how the Web site actually linked to NBA.com before the recent change, and Lawver said he had no idea the site linked to the NBA’s Web site until I told him. But after seeing it change moments after I spoke with him, I’m not buying that. I’m not tech savvy enough to know how to do those cool Internet tricks.
That probably explains why Lawver was short with his answers and told me he doesn’t want to be involved with any of this, which made me wonder why he bought the domain name in the first place? What’s also interesting is the domain name is misspelled, using two Ls instead of one. The clothing department store is spelled Marshalls. The spelling of the law enforcement officer or high-ranking military official is Marshal.
Here’s the entire conversation I had with Lawver:
DM: I’m trying to figure out what this okcmarshalls.com is about.
LL: I just bought that a long time ago.
DM: Well, you’ve got people thinking that’s the name of the team.
LL: I do? Well, there’s a bunch of them like that isn’t there?
DM: Well, this one links directly to the NBA’s official Web site, nba.com
LL: Oh it does?
LL: I don’t even know what it’s linked at.
DM: When you type in okcmarshalls.com, it takes you straight to NBA.com
LL: Oh it does? I didn’t realize that.
DM: Are you responsible for that?
LL: No, I didn’t actually put where it links to. It was actually a long time ago. I don’t know what it links to.
DM: Why did you set up okcmarshalls.com?
LL: Uh, just for luck. I don’t know. Just to do it. I don’t know, there’s not really a good explanation.
DM: Is it in reference to the NBA team that’s coming here?
LL: Yeah, if it was to be that, but it’s probably not going to be that.
DM: So this has no official connection to the NBA as far as you know?
LL: No, it doesn’t. I’m 100 percent sure about that.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 22453Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 12179Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10764Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9050Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8838Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8708Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 8233Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 7793Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7164Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 7066UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients