Schultz drops lawsuit
On the day that moving vans arrived in Oklahoma City, former Seattle SuperSonics owner Howard Schultz dropped his lawsuit against the new Oklahoma owners attempting to rescind the sale of the franchise.
“Our legal team and I no longer believe we can be successful with this litigation,” Schultz wrote in a letter to his former partners.
Schultz’s decision came after a federal judge ruled last week that the NBA would be allowed to intervene in the suit and denied Schultz’s request to split the case into two separate trials. Schultz also said he’s received feedback that the NBA might frown upon the continued litigation and it could hinder the chances of Seattle acquiring a future franchise.
“Thus the prevailing wisdom of many in the Seattle community and the advice of key members of the (Basketball Club of Seattle) is that Seattle’s best chance for a professional basketball franchise is to end this litigation and allow the City, State Legislature and other parties to begin the necessary fence mending with the NBA,” Schultz said. ”Reluctantly, I believe we should accept this view.”
The suit was considered by many a long shot. But with Schultz now dropping the case, there is no doubt the NBA will be in Oklahoma City for the long haul.
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 22176Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 12149Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10702Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8951Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8805Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8651Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 8107Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 7311Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7062Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 6971UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients