Can the Thunder win 50 games?
If it was suggested during training camp the Thunder might have a shot at recording 50 wins it would have been labeled preposterous or insane.
Fifty losses? Maybe. But 50 wins? Forget it. No chance.
Oklahoma City closed out its pre-All-Star break schedule with an 89-77 win over Portland Tuesday night at the Rose Garden.
Riding a season-best six-game winning streak, the organization’s longest winning streak in nearly six years, the Thunder improved is 30-21 at the All-Star break.
Remarkably, shockingly, reaching half a hundred isn’t impossible. Not saying it will happen. Probably won’t happen. But since the easiest portion of the Thunder’s schedule is the first five weeks after the break, it’s more doable than you might think.
There’s a lot of basketball to be played. Compiling 45 wins and making the playoffs would be a huge accomplishment.
But the primary reason OKC might have a shot at half a hundred is the Thunder has a better record than 15 of its next 19 opponents.
After facing the slumping Dallas Mavericks in the Ford Center the first game after the break, the Thunder will be favored in their next six home games (Minnesota, Toronto, Sacramento, New Orleans, New Jersey and Phoenix).
The final three home games over the next five weeks certainly aren’t soft (Utah, San Antonio and Houston). But despite some early-season Ford Center struggles, the Thunder is 9-3 at home since Dec. 18.
Road games are never a slam dunk. But five road games at New York, Minnesota, Sacramento, Indiana and the Clippers are opportunities to collect some wins.
The four toughest road games are at Denver, San Antonio, Charlotte and Toronto. But considering the Thunder has road wins at Atlanta, Utah, Phoenix, Portland, San Antonio and Miami, no road game is an automatic loss.
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 31040Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15616Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10323Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9726Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 9655Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8284Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 8255Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7508Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 7162Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 6434UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients