BREAKING NEWS: THUNDER ACQUIRES TYSON CHANDLER
The Thunder has acquired center Tyson Chandler from New Orleans in exchange for Chris Wilcox and Joe Smith, according to a league source with knowledge of the negotiations.
The Thunder will also include the draft rights to Devon Hardin, the 50th overall pick in the 2008 draft.
Chandler, 26, is one of the league’s best young defensive-oriented centers but has been hampered by chronic foot injuries this season. Chandler is averaging 8.8 points, 8.3 rebounds and 1.4 blocks in 32 games this year but averaged 11.8 points and 11.7 rebounds in 79 games last year.
The 7-foot-1 center became too expensive for the Hornets, who are in cost-cutting mode and face at $76 million payroll next season. Chandler has two years remaining on his contract after this season worth $24.6 million. He can opt out of the final year of his deal before the start of the 2010-11 season.
Wilcox and Smith both have expiring contracts, which will help New Orleans clear room on its salary cap next season.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 14589OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 8609Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6402Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6393Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6018Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5816Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4098As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in
- 3659Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage after tall metal utility polls fall in northwest Oklahoma City
- 3653Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 3418Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients