Reviewing Durant's streak
Kevin Durant’s 25-point scoring streak came to an end Wednesday night in San Antonio.
It was simply a matter of time.
Streaks of any kind — winning streaks, hitting streaks, consecutive games played streaks, or in this case scoring 25 or more points in 29 consecutive games — are remarkable simply because one injury or one off night can end the streak.
Bottom line is Kevin Durant was red hot for two months. During the streak, Durant shot 50.8 percent from the field, 50 percent on 102 3-point attempts, 88.7 from the line.
That last stat is the primary reason only Michael Jordan has compiled a longer 25-point streak the past 35 years. Durant has learned getting to the line are easy points, especially for someone who shoots nearly 90 percent at the charity stripe.
During the streak, Durant averaged almost 11 free throw attempts a game. Averaging double digit free throw attempts is evidence how Durant has taken his game to another level, especially compared to his rookie season when he often settled for jump shots.
Oklahoma City was 20-9 during the streak. Besides providing consistent offense for the Thunder, Durant also averaged 7.9 rebounds and continues to play much improved defense.
Because it was so rare, Durant’s scoring streak will be one of the highlights from the 2009-10 NBA season.
Athletes are praised for amazing feats. But the great ones are consistent night in, night out, game in, game out. At age 21, Durant put together a streak that has many throwing the Washington, D.C. product into the discussion of top players in the league.
Durant streak highlights:
* Averaged 32.4 points
* Scored 30 or more points in 23 of 29 games
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 54680Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 35701Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 32594Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8907Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 8388Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 5554Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4146OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 3664George Nigh has long been 'Four' Oklahoma
- 3376Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 3309Brittney Griner: Kim Mulkey said keep quiet on sexuality
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients