Durant on UT honor: "It was one of the best days of my life"
Kevin Durant had his No. 35 jersey retired last night at the University of Texas and called it an “unbelievable” experience.
You can see a photo gallery here.
“It’s an honor and a big accomplishment,” Durant said. “I just thank God for the position he always put me in. He always put me in the right place to succeed. I’m just so happy I went to the university and I’m glad they retired my number.”
In only one season at UT, Durant became the only freshman in NCAA history to be named the National College Player of the Year. He recorded 20 double-doubles, 11 30-point games and averaged 25.8 points and 11.1 rebounds in 35 games.
Durant got a little emotional at the halftime ceremony, wiping away tears after seeing his jersey raised to the rafters.
“I told myself I wasn’t going to cry,” Durant said. ”But once they played a video of highlights from when I was there and then unveiled the jersey I got real emotional. It was one of the best days of my life. I’ve come a long way. A lot of people doubted me when I was growing up. A lot of people doubted me and said I wasn’t going to be anything when I went to Texas. So it feels good to prove all those people wrong and shine some light on the university and also Oklahoma City. So I was excited and it was a great time for me and my family.”
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 14121OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 13945Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 8893Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6932Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5880Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5330Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 5280Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4654Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 4299Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 4082'Hatchet hitchhiker' arrested after attorney found dead
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients