Westhead Moves On To Oregon
Former Thunder assistant coach Paul Westhead has been named the head coach of the Oregon women’s basketball team.
Westhead left the team back in November when longtime friend and colleague P.J. Carlesimo was fired.
Westhead’s latest job only adds to his reputation as a coaching lifer.
The 70-year Westhead has had coaching stints in the ABA, the Japanese Pro League and in college at LaSalle University, Loyola Marymount and George Mason. He also coached the WNBA’s Phoenix Mercury, leading them to a league championship in 2007, and is a former head coach with the NBA’s Denver Nuggets, Chicago Bulls and Los Angeles Lakers. Westhead also served as an assistant with the Orlando Magic from 2003-05.
Westhead is the only coach to win both an NBA championship (1980 with the Lakers) and a WNBA championship. This is his first NCAA women’s coaching stint.
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 21771Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7615Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 6773OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 6490OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 5293Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4906Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 4032Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 3938Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 3498Four burning questions - Was the Thunder's season a failure?
- 3146Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients