I've Got Derrick Rose Colored Glasses
As I was sitting at my desk in the office today, an editor approached and delivered a package.
It was a box from the Chicago Bulls.
Inside was a silver square canister about the size of a 5 X 7 photo album. On the front is a red rose-colored shot of the United Center crowd in the background. Bulls rookie Derrick Rose’s mug shot is emblazoned in the forefront at right. Rose is smiling, wearing 3-D glasses with a Bulls logo in the middle, two action photos of him on the left and right of the spectacles and the words “Derrick Rose Colored Glasses” written on both sides of the frames.
At left of Rose’s image was a cheesy but catchy item that read “New! Derrick Rose Colored Glasses. Gives you a “Rosy” outlook!” There is even an “As seen on TV” logo at bottom right.
The most unnecessary campaign for Rookie of the Year has officially begun. And if I wasn’t already casting my first-place vote for the No. 1 overall pick (I was), the Bulls could have sold me with this thoughtful gimmick to bring attention to a soft-spoken player who has done nothing but let his game speak for itself.
Inside the tin can are a pair of 3-D glasses that come with a booklet that gives you facts, stats and celebrity testimonials like this gem from New Orleans point guard Chris Paul, “I think he’s a lot faster than me and a lot more explosive than me, and he’s a lot more athletic. I should be asking what I see of myself in him. I think he’s adjusted to the game very well.”
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 89652Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 73465Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 36350Oklahoma sucker-punched by second round of twisters
- 35145Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 14325Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 13653Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 11646Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 10034How to help tornado victims
- 8719Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
- 8601Oklahoma football: Jay Norvell working on luring a tall group of wide receivers to Norman
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients