I’ve Got Derrick Rose Colored Glasses
As I was sitting at my desk in the office today, an editor approached and delivered a package.
It was a box from the Chicago Bulls.
Inside was a silver square canister about the size of a 5 X 7 photo album. On the front is a red rose-colored shot of the United Center crowd in the background. Bulls rookie Derrick Rose’s mug shot is emblazoned in the forefront at right. Rose is smiling, wearing 3-D glasses with a Bulls logo in the middle, two action photos of him on the left and right of the spectacles and the words “Derrick Rose Colored Glasses” written on both sides of the frames.
At left of Rose’s image was a cheesy but catchy item that read “New! Derrick Rose Colored Glasses. Gives you a “Rosy” outlook!” There is even an “As seen on TV” logo at bottom right.
The most unnecessary campaign for Rookie of the Year has officially begun. And if I wasn’t already casting my first-place vote for the No. 1 overall pick (I was), the Bulls could have sold me with this thoughtful gimmick to bring attention to a soft-spoken player who has done nothing but let his game speak for itself.
Inside the tin can are a pair of 3-D glasses that come with a booklet that gives you facts, stats and celebrity testimonials like this gem from New Orleans point guard Chris Paul, “I think he’s a lot faster than me and a lot more explosive than me, and he’s a lot more athletic. I should be asking what I see of myself in him. I think he’s adjusted to the game very well.”
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17441Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 13900OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 11725'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 11253Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 8882Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 7879Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 7323Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7059Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
- 7006Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6837Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients