OKC-Denver in first round?
Making projections in the Wild Wild West is risky, but it’s looking likely the Thunder could play Denver in a No. 3 vs. No. 6 matchup in the opening round of the NBA playoffs.
Before we explain why that’s the most likely scenario, don’t forget the old cliché if ifs and buts were candy and nuts every day would be Christmas.
Trying to project where teams will be seeded in the West has been near impossible. But following a wild Friday night, IF games go according to Las Vegas oddsmakers lines, Denver will finish as the No. 3 seed and Oklahoma City the No. 6 seed.
Keep in mind a couple of IFs blew up big-time this past week which is why Oklahoma City, while in good position to avoid the dreaded No. 8 seed and a first-round matchup with the Lakers, could still finish No. 7 or 8.
It was shocking Memphis upset the Spurs Friday night in San Antonio. It was even more shocking that Utah lost at Houston Wednesday night. That’s why projecting a winner, based on Vegas odds, isn’t a slam dunk.
Still, here are the reasons why there’s a good chance it’s OKC-Denver in the first round:
IF San Antonio loses at Denver Saturday night, and IF Portland loses to the Lakers Sunday in the Staples Center, and IF Oklahoma City defeats Golden State Sunday night and Memphis Wednesday night, the Thunder will finish as the No. 6 seed, with a long shot chance of overtaking Phoenix for the No. 5 seed.
Dallas defeating Denver last week was huge. The Mavericks clinched the tiebreaker over the Nuggets and now need only go 2-1 their last three games to earn the No. 2 seed. Dallas plays at Sacramento Saturday night, play at the Clippers Monday night and finish at home Wednesday against San Antonio.
The Nuggets need Dallas to lose twice (highly unlikely). Denver, though, should finish as the No. 3 seed because the Nuggets own the tiebreaker over the Jazz, whose loss at Houston was costly. If the Nuggets go 2-1 their final three games — tonight hosting Spurs; Monday host Memphis and Tuesday at Phoenix — Denver is the No. 3 seed.
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 12458Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11436Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6211Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5407Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 4993Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4408OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3817Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 3613How to help tornado victims
- 3586Oklahoma tornadoes: Moore tornado was ninth deadliest in Oklahoma history
- 3014Oklahoma City Thunder: In his absence, Russell Westbrook's value becomes obvious
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients