Beat Portland or be No. 8 seed
Trying to decipher the Western Conference standings can get confusing.
But after blowing a double digit lead to Golden State Sunday night, the Thunder’s fate essentially boils down to tonight’s game at Portland.
Beat the Trail Blazers and OKC will be seeded No. 6 or 7. Lose to Portland and the Thunder can start making plans to open the playoffs in the Staples Center against the Lakers.
* If the Thunder defeats Portland tonight at the Rose Garden, Oklahoma City will be seeded no lower than No. 7 and could earn No. 6 by also defeating Memphis Wednesday night and have the Spurs lose once, the best chance being San Antonio’s game Wednesday night at Dallas.
* Lose tonight and the only way the Thunder avoids the No. 8 seed is to defeat Memphis Wednesday and have the Spurs lose both their games against Minnesota and Dallas (Anyone like the Timberwolves chances tonight in the Alamo City?).
After 80 games, the Thunder’s first post-season appearance basically boils down to having to defeat the Trail Blazers or be the No. 8 seed.
If the Thunder defeats Portland and Memphis, who would be their first-round opponent? Hard to say but here are the possible scenarios ranked in order of most likely to happen, not knowing whether they would be the No. 6 or 7 seed.
(A) Dallas is the overwhelming favorite to be the No. 2 seed.
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 14558OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 11841Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 8216Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6574Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 6065Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5464Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4374Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 4081'Hatchet hitchhiker' arrested after attorney found dead
- 4060Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 4007Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients