Rose Wins Rookie of the Year
Chicago’s Derrick Rose has won the 2008-09 Rookie of the Year award, the league announced today.
Thunder point guard Russell Westbrook finished fourth behind Memphis’ O.J. Mayo and New Jersey’s Brook Lopez.
Rose received 111 first-place votes (574 points) from a panel of 120 sportswriters and broadcasters throughout the U.S. and Canada. Players were awarded five points for each first-place vote, three points for each second-place vote and one point for each third-place vote.
Mayo received five first-place votes and 246 points. Lopez received two first-place votes and 127 points. Westbrook received two first-place votes and 73 total points.
Rose, the No. 1 overall pick, ranked second among rookies in scoring (16.8 points per game), first in assists (6.8 assists per game) and averaged 3.9 rebounds while starting 80 of 81 games in 37 minutes per game.
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17441Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 13900OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 11725'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 11253Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 8882Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 7879Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 7323Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7059Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
- 7006Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6837Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients