Thunder-Spurs Set To Play In Austin
The Thunder will host the San Antonio Spurs in an exhibition game next season in Austin, Texas, the team announced Wednesday.
The game, scheduled for Tuesday, Oct. 20 at 7:30 p.m, will be played in the Frank Erwin Center on the campus of the University of Texas. It will serve as a homecoming for Kevin Durant, who garnered Player of the Year honors at the school in 2007.
Thunder season ticket holders can purchase tickets to the game via a pre-sale period from May 11-15. Tickets go on sale to the general public June 1st at 10 a.m.
The remainder of the team’s preseason schedule has not yet been released, but Thunder fans should get accustomed to seeing the team pay homage to its key members by sprinkling games throughout their basketball roots.
General manager Sam Presti was a front office executive in San Antonio under GM R.C. Buford and coach Gregg Popovich, and the Spurs frequently traveled to remote locations to honor its longstanding players.
San Antonio held its training camp on St. Thomas in the U.S. Virgin Islands, Tim Duncan’s homeland, in 2005. The Spurs also played a preseason game in 2005 at the Lawrence Joel Veterans Memorial Colisuem on the campus of Wake Forest, Duncan’s alma mater. In 2006, the Spurs held their training camp in Lyon, France, native country of guard Tony Parker. And the Spurs played a preseason game against Memphis in Paris in 2003.
With Durant returning to Texas, Oklahomans also should get prepared to see a steady dose of Hook ‘em Horns signs from the Thunder’s franchise player. Durant often flashed the Longhorns’ salute on the sidelines of OU football and basketball games he attended this season and enjoyed staying true to his UT beginnings even while riling up some around these parts. With the Thunder now embracing Durant’s Texas days, his fondess for flashing Hook em’ Horns signs figures to be here to stay.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17897Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
- 15383Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 11506Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 11200'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 10732Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 9276OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 8256Dillon Overton rips former Sooners coach Sunny Golloway on Twitter
- 6910Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6624Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
- 6479Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients