Ibaka In Slam Dunk Contest?
According to a report by Broderick Turner of the Los Angeles Times, the NBA has selected Thunder forward Serge Ibaka to participate in this year’s slam dunk contest at All-Star Weekend in L.A.
Ibaka, the report says, will be joined by former OU star and current Clippers forward Blake Griffin, Washington center JaVale McGee and Milwaukee guard Brandon Jennings.
Ibaka told The Oklahoman last February that he wanted to participate in this year’s contest after watching last year’s event live in Dallas.
“I feel like I can compete with them,” Ibaka said of the dunkers.
Ibaka won a dunk contest in Spain three years ago and boasts of being able to dunk from the free throw line. Ibaka has had several highlight-worthy dunks over his first 1 1/2 NBA seasons, spawning an “Air Congo” nickname for his aerial attack.
Griffin, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2009 draft, also lobbied to participate in this year’s event. The expected runaway Rookie of the Year winner also has appeared on nightly highlights in part because of monstrous dunks.
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 25098Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 17202Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 9497OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 8681Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 7965Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7715UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 7025Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 5941Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 5360Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 4404Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients