A Loss For LeBron Could Be A Win For Kobe
More and more I’m hearing people say they’re sick of Kobe Bryant versus LeBron James.
Sick of the Nike puppets. Sick of the Vitamin Water ads debating the Black Mamba and the Chosen One. And sick of the NBA “pushing” for that matchup in the NBA Finals.
But the NBA’s great debate can be settled tonight. All it will take is a loss to Orlando by James’ Cavaliers in Game 5 of the Eastern Conference Finals, where it has really become win or go home in this elimination game.
It’s baffling, by the way, how anyone outside of Denver and Orlando can root against a Kobe-LeBron Finals. That’s like saying, ‘Eh, I’d rather not see Tiger and Phil in the final pairing on Sunday at Augusta.’
But for all of King James’ stats and individual honors and regular season wins this season, it should become clear to everyone that Bryant still wears the crown as the league’s best player.
James averaged more points, rebounds, assists, steals and blocks than Bryant in the regular season. He also shot a higher percentage from the field while leading the Cavs to a league-best 66 wins, one more than Bryant’s Lakers. He took home the much deserved honor as MVP after putting together a season that swayed many into thinking he’s actually surpassed Bryant.
But what we’re all witnessing in these conference finals is the one ingredient that still separates the two players, the one factor that Bryant has that has his team one win away from advancing to the NBA Finals rather than one defeat from summer vacation — will.
Bryant, no matter how ugly things have been for the Lakers at times, will not let his team get bounced from the playoffs. Each time the Lakers’ backs have been against the wall, Bryant has come to the rescue. Of course the Lakers need five more wins to seal the deal. But thus far it’s been Bryant who’s willed his team through the adversity. Bryant who carried the Lakers past Utah, a down but determined Houston team and now a loaded and confident Denver team.
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 90701Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 17035OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 12738Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8924Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8598Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8454How to help tornado victims
- 8359Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located
- 8212Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 7113Clippers' Donald Sterling hints coach let go to keep Chris Paul
- 7056Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients