Amir Johnson To The Thunder?
The Web site DraftExpress.com is reporting that the Thunder and Pistons might be engaged in trade discussions for a swap of first-round picks in a deal that would also send forward Amir Johnson to OKC.
The Thunder would send the No. 25 pick and cash to Detroit in exchange for Johnson and the 15th pick.
“With the Detroit Pistons looking to get as far under the salary cap as they can this summer, and the Oklahoma City Thunder being one of the few teams who are able to help them shed salary, the two teams have emerged as natural trade partners, multiple sources told DraftExpress this past weekend…Detroit is currently slated to be around 20 million dollars underneath the cap, but could shed another five million or so by unloading the contracts of Amir Johnson and their first-round pick. (#15). Enter the Oklahoma City Thunder. They are reportedly high on B.J. Mullens (as is Milwaukee), and likely would be able to nab him with the 15th pick. Considering how far under the cap they’ll be this summer, they would have no problem taking on Amir Johnson’s expiring 3.66 million dollar contract…”
MLive.com points out that Pistons president of basketball operations Joe Dumars recently acknowledged such a move is a possibility as Detroit looks to rebuild this offseason.
And unlike many of the rumors that will be tossed out there this time of year, this one makes a lot of sense for both sides. For the Thunder it’s a chance to add a promising young player in Johnson, who still is only 22 but has four years of NBA experience and has been to the playoffs twice. I first mentioned Johnson as a possibility for the Thunder back in January.
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 18441Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 17118OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 13848Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 11264Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 9500Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 7869Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7538Two teacher programs at Oklahoma universities called ineffective
- 7363Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 7128Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6380Train engineer's vision problems led to deadly Oklahoma wreck, NTSB rules
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients