Kevin Durant Scoring In Bunches
Two years ago, Kevin Durant swore he was not like Kobe Bryant and LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony.
At that point, Durant didn’t consider himself such a deadly scorer that he could drop 15 to 20 points in a quarter like those other stars seem to do with such ease.
That was then.
Durant, who is headed for back-to-back scoring titles, is now scoring in bunches.
The Thunder’s star enters tonight’s game at Denver as the league leader in double-digit scoring quarters. Durant has scored at least 10 points in 35 quarters this season, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. Golden State’s Monta Ellis ranks second with 34 10-point quarters, Bryant is third with 33 and James is fourth with 30.
Here’s another way of looking at Durant’s scoring as we sit at the midway mark of the season. Durant scores at least 10 points in a quarter once every four quarters.
For as cold-blooded as Durant was as a scorer prior to this season, he had yet to consistently peel off such huge scoring quarters. But this season, we’re seeing Durant’s scoring dominance evolve.
“I just try to capitalize on every opportunity I get,” Durant said.
Durant’s best quarter so far this season has been the opening period. In the first frame, Durant is averaging 9.4 points. And he’s shooting 50.8 percent. Much of the reason for his high scoring in the first period can be explained by his 11.8 average minutes in first quarters. Durant’s numbers dip considerably in the second quarter, slipping to 4.6 points largely because his minutes fall to an average of 7.5. His 41.6 percent shooting in second quarters is much more inexplicable.
But Durant’s overall second half scoring total, roughly a 14-point average, is nearly identical to first half production. Always a good sign.
“That’s my game,” Durant said. “A lot of people might say I need to pass more or I need to play defense more. But I score the basketball.”
And, of course, Durant is aiming to make them fall when it counts — in the fourth quarter.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 12604Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10239Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9732Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9189Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6670Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4472Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4240Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 4180Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
- 3744Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 3718Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients