Eddie House Discusses 25K Fine
According to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel’s Ira Winderman, Miami guard Eddie House today discussed his “obscene gesture” following Sunday’s 108-103 win over the Thunder that got him fined $25,000 by the NBA.
House, who has celebrated big shots in the past with the same move (which originated with former guard Sam Cassell), said he got caught in the moment.
I was very surprised, the first time being fined,” House said after Wednesday’s practice at American Airlines Arena, his first expansive comments on the fine. “I’ve always followed the rules and stuff like that. It was just the emotion of the game.”
I know Sam used to do it and I don’t think he got fined for it,” House said. “So I thought it was something within the game that I was going to be able to do, not like thinking, ‘I’m going to do this.’ But, at the end of the day, my emotions took over. I was surprised. I was very surprised. And it was a steep fine, too, very steep, without a warning.”
House went on to say that type of celebration is “definitely not happening anymore.”
House sounds genuinely contrite, and that’s the best thing he could do at this point. But I have no doubt that I’m in the minority who had no problem with House’s celebration. He wasn’t showing up the Thunder. He wasn’t directing his dance at the fans. He immediately turned to his own bench and erupted after the huge shot he had just hit. Who cares that it was his only one of the game? It was the biggest of the game, and he had earned the right to celebrate.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 18732Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 15952Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 10745How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 2753Oklahoma twister tracked path of 1999 tornado
- 2638Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 2099Twitter reaction from the sports world on the Moore/OKC tornadoes
- 1489Police: School near OKC directly hit by tornado
- 1234Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients