No Easy Buckets
Daequan Cook isn’t likely to ever win any awards for his defense.
In fact, it wouldn’t be unfair to label him a liability on that end of the floor.
But one thing that is becoming increasingly clear is that opponents darn sure won’t turn their matchup against Cook into a layup drill.
Cook won’t stand for it. He’s one of the few players on the Thunder who effectively deliver hard fouls to prevent easy scores.
In the first half against Miami on Sunday, Cook wrapped up Dwyane Wade and LeBron James with purpose, preventing them from muscling up high-percentage shots and potentially converting three-point plays. Cook sent them to the foul line and made them earn their points.
To the naked eye, Cook’s 10 first-half points in that game, which included two 3-pointers, were his biggest contribution.
But those two shrewd stops were not small victories. A major factor in the Thunder’s defensive slippage this season can be attributed to allowing to0 many uncontested shots. And that has caused opponents’ field-goal percentages to skyrocket, while also setting off a domino effect that leads to breakdowns in other areas of the Thunder’s defense.
“The one thing that we’ve been slacking on a lot of times is the easy buckets in transition,” Cook said. “So we got to slow that down a little bit. And that’s just always been in me to always foul hard to make sure a guy doesn’t get the shot off.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 33271Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 24362Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 6895OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 6548Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 4476OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 4156Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3398Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 3362Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 3190Oklahoma City Thunder: The time has come for OKC's young players
- 3174Brittney Griner: Kim Mulkey said keep quiet on sexuality
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients