Were draft rumors bogus?
Having intently followed the draft the past month there were so many rumors that you just knew Draft night would be full of trades. There can’t be that much smoke without an occasional fire popping up here and there, right?
Covering an NBA team for the first time from training camp to the end of the season you learn a lot about the nuances of the league. Covering my first NBA Draft once again I learned valuable lessons.
Thunder general manager Sam Presti said late Thursday night following his press conference he doesn’t put much stock in internet rumors because he said at least nine out of 10 rumors relating to the Thunder are bogus.
Presti admitted he was involved in trade discussions right up until he made the pick. He said that’s part of the job. Turn over every rock. You never know what you might turn up.
But rumors are just that, rumors. There were rumors Minnesota might give OKC its No. 5 and 16 picks to move up to No. 3. There were rumors Houston wanted Memphis’ No. 2 pick, a rumor Chicago might trade No. 16 and 26 for No. 11 with New Jersey and on and on.
There probably was a grain of truth to many rumors. But in the end, both teams have to like what they’re getting for the rumor to actually become a trade. In Presti’s case, he wanted James Harden.
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 11753Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10515Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9760Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9740Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6752Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4200Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
- 4065Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 3847Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 3762Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 3552OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients