Thunder has “family” bond
Sports teams have used the term “family” for decades to describe their feelings towards teammates. The Pittsburgh Pirates were the first to emphasize it 30 years ago when they played off Sister Sledge’s hit song “We Are Family.”
The Thunder is one of those teams where family is a term not taken lightly among those in the front office or the locker room.
Jeff Green (Washington, D.C.), D.J. White (Tuscaloosa, Ala.) and Kyle Weaver (Wisconsin) were all in Oklahoma City on Saturday when the three rookies –James Harden, B.J. Mullens and Robert Vaden — were introduced. That speaks volumes that they planned trips to OKC when their new teammates would be in town.
General manager Sam Presti constantly refers to acquiring high character guys who will work hard and play hard for each other. That’s why the “family” references aren’t by happen stance. Those are the type of players Presti wants to build around.
There have been teams that argued and bickered and still won championships, the Yankees of decades ago being a prime example. But in most cases, a family-like comrarderie enhances winning games while locker room “cancers” can tear a team apart.
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 21368Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 17546Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12345Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 9430Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 9175Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 9080Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 8212Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head in self-defense
- 7912Rx drug bills sent to Oklahoma governor
- 5969OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 5028Will a MAPS 4 initiative involve a football stadium downtown?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients