Thunder has "family" bond
Sports teams have used the term “family” for decades to describe their feelings towards teammates. The Pittsburgh Pirates were the first to emphasize it 30 years ago when they played off Sister Sledge’s hit song “We Are Family.”
The Thunder is one of those teams where family is a term not taken lightly among those in the front office or the locker room.
Jeff Green (Washington, D.C.), D.J. White (Tuscaloosa, Ala.) and Kyle Weaver (Wisconsin) were all in Oklahoma City on Saturday when the three rookies –James Harden, B.J. Mullens and Robert Vaden — were introduced. That speaks volumes that they planned trips to OKC when their new teammates would be in town.
General manager Sam Presti constantly refers to acquiring high character guys who will work hard and play hard for each other. That’s why the “family” references aren’t by happen stance. Those are the type of players Presti wants to build around.
There have been teams that argued and bickered and still won championships, the Yankees of decades ago being a prime example. But in most cases, a family-like comrarderie enhances winning games while locker room “cancers” can tear a team apart.
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 6720Oklahoma tornadoes: Oklahoma singer packs tour bus with donations for storm victims
- 6515Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 5990Oklahoma tornadoes: Tornado leaves family members in two hospitals and one dead
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients