Thunder Close To Parting With Earl Watson
LAS VEGAS – The Thunder could be close to waiving point guard Earl Watson. An agreement could be reached as early as today.
Watson, the 30-year-old backup to Russell Westbrook, averaged 6.6 points and 5.8 assists in 68 games last season. The eight-year veteran grew frustrated his role last season as a member of the 23-win Thunder, going from opening-night starter to mid-season backup to bench warmer by season’s end.
Watson said at the end of last season that he doesn’t expect to return, and if a deal is finalized the agreement could benefit both sides. Watson would become a free agent and could sign with any team, potentially ending up on a playoff contender that can offer him more playing time as opposed to being caught in the Thunder’s commitment to youth. And Oklahoma City could save a good portion of Watson’s $6.6 million salary for this coming season while also freeing up a roster spot.
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 14589OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 8609Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6402Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6393Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6018Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5816Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4098As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in
- 3659Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage after tall metal utility polls fall in northwest Oklahoma City
- 3653Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 3418Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients