Thunder Getting Center Etan Thomas
The Thunder is on the verge of beefing up its frontcourt.
Oklahoma City is close to acquiring reserve center Etan Thomas from Minnesota, The Oklahoman has learned. In exchange for the 6-foot-10 Tulsa native, the Thunder has agreed to send the Timberwolves reserve guards Damien Wilkins and Chucky Atkins.
Under the proposed deal, the Thunder also would get Minnesota’s second-round pick in 2010 and perhaps one more second-rounder as additional compensation. The Thunder would have five total draft picks in 2010, including its own first- and second-round picks and Phoenix’s unprotected first-round selections.
The move gives the Thunder an experienced big man to play behind starting center Nenad Krstic and should allow Nick Collison to play more time in his customary power forward position.
For the Wolves, the deal appears to be nothing more than a salary dump. Wilkins’ $3.3 million contract is guaranteed for next season, but only $760,000 of Atkins’ expiring $3.48 million contract is guaranteed for 2009-10.
Thomas is owed $7.35 million in the final year of his contract, meaning the Thunder is gaining short-term relief in the middle while only slightly adding to its payroll and still maintaining its long-term flexibility.
Thomas, a product of Tulsa’s Booker T. Washington High, is entering his eighth season out of Syracuse. He holds career averages of 6.0 points, 4.9 rebounds and 1.0 blocks in 17.9 minutes. Thomas was the 12th overall pick in 2000 by Dallas but was immediately traded to Washington. He has been plagued by injuries and illness during his seven seasons with the Wizards, missing the entire 2007-08 season with a heart condition that required open heart surgery before returning to basketball in 2008-09.
Washington sent Thomas, 31, to Minnesota in a multi-player trade two days before June’s NBA Draft.
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 25487Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 17319Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 9536OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 8741Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 7985Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7943UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 7139Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 6051Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 5454Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 4574Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients