Tony Brothers Swallowing His Whistle
By now, you’ve probably seen highlights of Orlando guard Quentin Richardson shoving Charlotte guard Gerald Henderson in the face late in Wednesday night’s Magic win at Charlotte.
But the most fascinating thing about the altercation wasn’t Richardson’s ridiculously effective two-handed mush. It was the way it was allowed to escalate to that point. Standing no more than two feet from Richardson and Henderson as tempers began to flare was none other than referee Tony Brothers, who of course holds a special place in Thunder fans’ hearts.
In the above video, starting at the 1:07 mark, you can clearly see Brothers taking no control of the situation. As the two square off, Brothers sticks his whistle in his mouth…and then swallows it. He does nothing more than stand there like a boxing ref bringing together two welterweights at the start of the fight. What’s more disturbing is how, at the 1:34 mark, exactly when Matt Winer is providing commentary about how “Henderson is just standing there,” you see Brothers still, well, just standing there…doing nothing.
It’s phenomenal stuff.
Brothers left the brunt of the breaking up of the fight to fellow referee Bennett Salvatore and the players, which included our old friend D.J. White.
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 81615Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14276Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 8057Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7469Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 7367How to help tornado victims
- 6230Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 5754Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 5743Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 5628OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 5567Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients