In case you missed it on The Sports Animal today, host Jim Traber’s mission to run Nick Collison out of town hit a climax when Collison called into the station and had a 17-minute conversation with Traber.
For those that don’t know, The Oklahoman’s Jenni Carlson wrote a column Monday about how Collison is using the social networking site Twitter to show his personality, which includes his fondness for the city of Seattle.
Traber took exception to Collison’s tweets and his alleged shots at Oklahoma City and has declared war on the Thunder’s power forward ever since. What transpired today turned into truly unbelievable radio, combining comedy, shock value and downright good entertainment. What makes it so interesting is that neither Traber nor Collison is joking. It would be one thing if this were staged, a big act to drive ratings. But these two are genuinely going at it, airing out their differences for thousands to hear.
The first 15 seconds alone had me in stitches.
Traber: “Craig, we have a guest on the line. You know who it is?”
Craig Humphries: “I was told during the break that Nick Collison might be calling in.”
Traber: “That’s exactly right. Live from I’m sure up in Seattle right now it’s Nick Collison. Nick, I’m Jim Traber (with) Craig Humphries. What are you doing?”
Collison: “Hey Jim, what’s up? I heard you’re trying to run me out of town. What’s the deal?”
Other highlights include:
- Collison’s admitting his hatred for the word, “Tweet.”
- Collison claiming he’s “the sweatiest dude in the league,” which has actually been confirmed by at least one opposing player.
- Traber getting personal by calling out Collison for how much he makes every two weeks.
- Collison calling this ownership group and management the most dedicated to winning of any he’s every played for. (He points out he’s played for five head coaches, two GMs and two ownership groups, all with Seattle/Oklahoma City since he joined the league in 2003.)
- Collison asking Traber if he can stay at his place when he returns for the season since his lease is up.
Listen to the rest yourself by clicking on the link above.