The Thunder has received some unfair backlash for scheduling a preseason game Oct. 14 at the BOK Center in Tulsa.
The problem is the same night the Thunder makes its only Tulsa appearance all season TU plays Boise State, at home in Skelly Stadium, in a nationally televised game on ESPN2.
No one is to blame. The Thunder locked in the BOK date way back around the holidays in December.
TU’s football program switched its home game but you can’t blame them. Anytime a non-BCS Conference school is offered a chance to play on national TV you take that in a heart beat.
TU announced in March it had four games on ESPN this season, including two Wednesday games. Tulsa also has games scheduled on Friday and Sunday nights. At the time, the public had no idea the Thunder already had that date locked in for a preseason NBA game at the BOK Center.
Both opponents offer something of interest. Boise State has made a name for itself, especially after the Broncos defeated OU in the Fiesa Bowl. The Thunder’s opponent — Dwyane Wade and the Miami Heat — also is a good draw.
Oct. 14 will be a hot time in Tulsa. It’s a shame the two events aren’t on different nights. Having seen the track record for fans from the Sooner state, don’t be surprised if both events aren’t well attended. The only issue is some fans will have to make a tough choice.
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 73942Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 30870Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 27865Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 22757Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 6762Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 6400Oklahoma tornadoes: Several homes damaged by tornado, but no injuries in Edmond
- 6313Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
- 6210Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5940Severe storms possible in Oklahoma again Monday
- 5466Oklahoma football: Jay Norvell working on luring a tall group of wide receivers to Norman
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients