Avoiding the P word (playoffs)
The Thunder probably is a year away from being a serious playoff contender in the rugged Western Conference. If Oklahoma City played in the Eastern Conference it might be a different story where 37 or 38 wins sometimes get you in post-season.
Still, it’s been somewhat surprising this week how Thunder players have avoided making predictions. It’s been so consistent when asked the “P” question it’s as if players have been coached up by the organization to essentially say “We’re going to work hard every day, give it our all and let the chips fall where they may.”
Shaun Livingston was the only player at Media Day who said shooting for the playoffs should be a goal for the Thunder this season.
Veteran Nick Collison, always a straight shooter, summed it up well:
“It’s tough to judge us,” Collison said. “We are a very talented team that could make a huge push. We’re capable of it. But with that being said we’re probably 25 games short from our record last year. That’s a huge jump.
“As players we’re expecting to be a much better team. We’re expecting to not get off to a bad start like we did last year that put us in such a deep hole. As the season goes along, anything can happen. It’s hard to say we’re going to be in the playoffs or not be in the playoffs. We do feel much better about our team. But it’s a process.”
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 88132Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 35601Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 7786Tornado in Oklahoma City suburb causes destruction
- 5828Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 5720Police: School near OKC directly hit by tornado
- 4402Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients