Griffin’s injury not first for No. 1 Clippers pick
It’s been a tough year for OU stars. First quarterback Sam Bradford, now news that Blake Griffin probably won’t make his NBA debut until after Thanksgiving because of a broken knee cap.
It’s bad timing for Thunder fans. The Clippers’ only visit all season to the Ford Center is Nov. 15, a game Griffin will now miss. OKC also plays at the Clippers on Nov. 11. As a result, the only time Griffin will play againt the Thunder is March 5 in Los Angeles.
One can only hope this is a small setback at the start of Griffin’s career, not a repeat of history of another former star from a Big 12 school that was picked No. 1 overall by the Clippers whose career was plagued by injuries.
Danny Manning led Kansas to a national title but was limited to just 26 games his rookie season after the Clippers selected him No. 1 overall. It would be the first of three reconstructive knee surgeries for Manning.
Manning averaged 22.8 and 23.7 points to earn back-to-back All-Star Game honors early in his career after overcoming his first ACL surgery 20 years ago back when it was more dicey than modern day ACL procedures.
Turns out, it would be Manning’s only two All-Star Game appearancess. Hampered by knee injuries, Manning finished with a 14.0 career scoring average. Instead of leading the Clippers to new heights, Manning ended up bouncing around the league, playing for Atlanta, Phoenix, Milwaukee, Utah, Dallas and Detroit.
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 11499Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 8698Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 7434How to help tornado victims
- 4914Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 2111Oklahoma twister tracked path of 1999 tornado
- 1490Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 1406Twitter reaction from the sports world on the Moore/OKC tornadoes
- 954Hospitals treat more than 120 after Oklahoma tornado
- 936Expert rips Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation's handling of murder case
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients