Etan Thomas Has A Lot On His Mind
On Sunday, Mike Baldwin wrote about how Thunder center Etan Thomas is, ‘More than just an athlete.”
A day later, Thomas’ first blog for HoopsHype.com was published and the entry, “My 12 questions,” touches on everything from the NBA’s age limit, to its dress code, to negativity in the media, to the H1N1 vaccine.
Thomas also tackles issues regarding Rush Limbaugh, George Bush, Donald Sterling and what he views as questionable language used throughout the NBA that has overtones of slavery.
“Why does the NBA, an almost 80 percent African-American league, constantly (use) terms that reference slavery? Why are the CEO’s of the teams called owners? why do they use the term “property” of a certain team when referring to a player’s employment? Why is the term trading block utilized? Why all the references to slavery, and why hasn’t anyone up until this point objected to this?”
Thomas, perhaps more than any other current NBA player, has been praised for being an athlete who is unafraid to speak his mind. I’m not sure if his HoopsHype.com blog will be a recurring column. But, love his opinions or hate them, he’ll certainly find some avenue for being heard.
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 16859Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 12191OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 11527'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 11272Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
- 11209Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 9827Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 7998Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 6986Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6951Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
- 5788Oklahoma Corrections Department director to resign
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients