Halftime talk sparks defense
Milwaukee was hanging with the Thunder in an ESPN nationally televised game Friday night in the Ford Center, a matchup of two young teams off to better starts than most projected.
The primary reason the Bucks trailed only 51-50 at halftime was they were 6-of-13 on 3-pointers.
At halftime, Oklahoma City coach Scott Brooks challenged his team to play better defense, especially getting to the perimeter to guard Milwaukee’s potent 3-point shooters.
“Coach Brooks came in at halftime and emphasized taking that away,” said Russell Westbrook. “No easy baskets. We did a good job of that starting the third (quarter). We got the lead from there.”
The Bucks opened the third quarter 0-of-13 from the field. They didn’t score until midway through the third period. By that point the Thunder had outscored Milwaukee 15-0 to build the lead to 66-50.
That essentially was the game. The Bucks never got closer than 10 points the rest of the game as Oklahoma City cruised to a 108-90 win.
So what were Brooks’ magic words?
“The only thing we changed was our effort,” Brooks said. “We had to pick it up. They’ve had some great third quarters (earlier this season) and we needed to pick it up and do a better job defensively.”
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 12757Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10379Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9755Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9478Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6719Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4489Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4265Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 4197Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
- 3744Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 3743Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients