Mark Bryant’s Trick Shot
If you’ve ever gone to a Thunder game early to score autographs or watch players warm up, you’ve likely seen Thunder assistant coach Mark Bryant’s pre-game ritual.
Bryant is the coach who takes three back-to-the-basket, over-the-head shots from the corner 3-point line just in front of the Thunder’s bench. Three attempts are all Bryant gives himself. If he makes it before the third attempt, he walks away. If he misses all three attempts, he tries again the next game.
“Since I’ve been playing, I’ve always done that,” Bryant said. “Before I would run in before the game, I would grab a ball and try to fling it up real quick. I’ve been doing it since forever.”
Bryant, who enjoyed a 15-year playing career, is surprisingly accurate with the trick shot. It’s not unusual to see Bryant bury a bucket with his back turned to the rim while fans near the bench ooh and ahh at what they just witnessed.
Now, Bryant can’t stop.
“It’s just that superstitious type thing going on. I just have to do it,” Bryant said.
It’s a superstition with a twist.
“I don’t like when I make it, though, because I don’t think we have a good outcome when I make it,” Bryant said. “Sometimes I don’t even like doing it because I don’t want to make it. But I’ve been doing it forever.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 23122Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 10571Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 6943OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 5977OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 5278Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5014Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3834Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 3753Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 3593Four burning questions - Was the Thunder's season a failure?
- 3185Brittney Griner: Kim Mulkey said keep quiet on sexuality
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients