Eric Maynor Out For The Season With Torn ACL
Thunder guard Eric Maynor will miss the remainder of the season with a torn right ACL, the team announced Sunday.
Maynor injured his knee on a drive to the basket with 7:47 remaining in the fourth quarter Saturday night at Houston. He collapsed to the court and remained there for approximately two minutes before teammates had to carry him off the court.
“After further tests and evaluation this morning, it was revealed that Eric Maynor tore his right Anterier Cruciate Ligament in the fourth quarter of last night’s game in Houston,” Thunder general manager Sam Presti said in a team-issued release. “The injury will require surgery and Eric will miss the remainder of the 2011-12 season.
“It’s unfortunate to lose a player like Eric, whose work ethic and leadership has contributed to the culture of our organization. Knowing him and the mental toughness he possesses, we are confident that he will do everything necessary to come back from this injury and be prepared for the 2012-13 season. Injuries are part of the NBA, and although it is tough to lose Eric, we must move forward and focus on our continued improvement as a basketball team.”
Maynor was a key reserve for the Thunder behind starting point guard Russell Westbrook, helping the Thunder establish one of the best second units in the NBA. In nine games, Maynor was averaging 4.2 points and 2.4 assists in 15.2 minutes per game. Last season, Maynor ranked ninth in the league in assists-to-turnover ratio at 3.09-to-1.
Rookie guard Reggie Jackson, the 24th overall pick out of Boston College, is expected to be relied upon to fill Maynor’s void. Jackson had only played sparingly going into Sunday’s game against San Antonio, averaging 2.3 points in 4.7 minutes in three appearances.
“That is an old NBA saying,” Thunder coach Scott Brooks said Saturday night. “You better be ready because you never know…But Reggie’s been preparing himself. He’s been working with (assistant coach Brian Keefe) every day, sometimes too long because he wants more. Reggie is one of those guys who wants more. He’s a sponge. And he’ll be fine if that’s what it calls for.”
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 7246UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
- 6857Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 5852Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients