Back To Back To Back A Breeze For OKC
So much for the Thunder’s three games in three nights being some big test of endurance and mental toughness.
Not only did the Thunder become the first team this season to sweep its back-to-back-to-back set, but Oklahoma City also won by an average margin of 10 points. The Thunder led by as many as 27 on Friday against Houston and by as many as 25 on Sunday against San Antonio.
When the schedule was announced, it certainly appeared Oklahoma City got a favorable draw for its three in three. Two games were at home, and the lone road trip was a 90-minute flight to Houston. Then the Thunder pounced on injury-plagued Rockets and Spurs squads and turned the triple dip into a breeze.
In the end, the head-kickings prevented some potential headaches for Thunder coach Scott Brooks. With such large leads in two of the three games, Brooks didn’t have to worry about limiting playing time to keep his players fresh. He was able to sit his starters for the entire fourth quarter twice. And that rest resulted in a preseason-like distribution of minutes over the three-game stretch.
The Thunder’s starters averaged just 25.1 minutes in the three in three. Throw in sixth man James Harden and super sub Nick Collison and the total for the Thunder’s top seven players in minutes played rises by only 0.2 minutes.
Furthermore, no Thunder player averaged more than Kevin Durant’s 30.6 minutes. Russell Westbrook logged an even 30 a night. Here’s a look at the entire top seven’s game-by-game minutes and their three-game average.
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 12287Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11384Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6956Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 6508Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 4900Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4357OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3734Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 3632How to help tornado victims
- 3582Oklahoma tornadoes: Moore tornado was ninth deadliest in Oklahoma history
- 3172Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients