Thunder a popular distraction at Final Four
To say Sunday’s game between the Thunder and Chicago created a buzz at the Final Four in New Orleans would be vastly overstating it, but there was at least a murmur.
Fans who attend the Final Four have such tunnel vision toward college hoops that the rest of the sports world pretty much ceases to exist until their champion is crowned. Nothing is more important than the event they’re at. Major league baseball’s opening day doesn’t register. The Masters will have to wait until later in the week. As for the NBA, that championship won’t be determined until June.
But several fans opened their minds on Sunday. Around 5 p.m., a bar called “The Beach” on Bourbon Street was packed with college hoop fans. The music was loud. The drinks were flowing. Didn’t matter it was an off day before Monday night’s title game between Kentucky and Kansas. In addition to Final Four supporters from UK, KU, Ohio State and Louisville, there were fans from various participants in this year’s bracket — North Carolina, Duke, Indiana, Florida, Florida State, even Ohio.
Everything in sight and everything within ear shot was about college hoops. Then flat-screen televisions above the bar area started showing a recap of the Thunder’s 92-78 victory over the Bulls at Chesapeake Energy Arena.
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17700Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
- 13947Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 11336Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 10871'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 10364Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 10094Dillon Overton rips former Sooners coach Sunny Golloway on Twitter
- 6825OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 6766Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6423Oklahoma football: New assistant Bill Bedenbaugh discusses state of OU's offensive line
- 6208Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients