Talkin’ Nicknames And Celebrations With Russell Westbrook
Two quirky things are starting to stand out more and more about Russell Westbrook.
The first is his growing usage of the celebration he displays following 3-pointers. He blows on three fingers from both of his hands and motions down to his side with each hand as if he’s holstering pistols.
The second is Westbrook doesn’t have a nickname. Most players as good as Westbrook have a nickname. But after nearly four seasons, Westbrook still is just, well, Russell Westbrook. You’d think that would have to change soon.
I spoke with Westbrook briefly about both things and here’s what he had to say.
Q: When you hit a 3, what do you call that thing you do with your hands?
A: I don’t call it nothing. A 3. It’s a celebration like everybody else got.
Q: Where did it start?
A: Honestly, I don’t know where it started from. I think it started two years ago, maybe. I just shoot a lot more now. Before I didn’t shoot as many. It was rare that I shot a lot (of 3s).
Q: What do you like about it? Does it get you going?
A: I’m already going when the game starts. Maybe it’s just something to keep the crowd involved or keep my team going. I don’t know, but I’m going to continue to do it.
Q: What about a nickname? It’s sort of strange that you don’t have a nickname. Have you ever had one?
A: No. I never had one. There’s never really been one. I just kind of play.
Q: Anything that you’ve heard that you’ve liked?
A: I haven’t really heard nothing to tell you the truth.
Q: Some people like ‘Honey Badger.’ Have you heard that?
A: Yeah. I’ve heard that before. But that’s the football dude’s. The dude that plays for LSU (cornerback Tyrann Mathieu). So that name is kind of out of the picture. That’s the only one I’ve really heard of before.
Q: You don’t have any others that you like or think fit?
A: Not that I know of. ‘Why Not?’ That’s my nickname. ‘Mr. Why Not?’
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 72395Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14464Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 8451Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7239How to help tornado victims
- 6453Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 6316Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 6292Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6021Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 5304Details emerge about memorial service for Oklahoma tornado victims
- 5155Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients