Here’s a shocker: Seattle fans upset, this time at Nate Robinson
When roughly 100 fans greeted the Oklahoma City Thunder at a private hanger at Will Rogers World Airport at 3:30 a.m. after Game 4 on Wednesday/Thursday, reserve guard Nate Robinson rifled off a tweet: “OKC aka Thunder fans are the best on the planet.”
Robinson was born and raised in Seattle, loves Seattle, never passes up a chance to brag about Seattle. He excelled at the University of Washington in Seattle. However, Seattle SuperSonics fans took offense at Robinson’s kindness toward Oklahoma City. And if there’s one thing people in Seattle won’t stand for, it’s someone being kind to OKC.
Sonics fans being offended from what happened three years ago has lost all traction. Actually, it never really had any traction. Seattle had an opportunity to keep the Sonics, but elected public officials tabled any talk of a suitable facility being built with the help of taxpayer money in greater Seattle. This gave the city zero chance of keeping the franchise. If Seattle had a new arena, the Sonics would still be there. Pure and simple.
Seattle folks insist OKC stole the Sonics. Around these parts, we consider that a fumble. Seattle fumbled the Sonics. Oklahoma City recovered. Mixed metaphor intended.
Incorrigible Sonics fans are still pouting, whining, bitching about what transpired, and now their fans are taking swings at Robinson.
Robinson has played in just five games since coming to the Thunder from the Boston Celtics as part of the Kendrick Perkins trade on Feb. 24. Despite this limited exposure, Thunder fans quickly have embraced the 5-foot-9, 180-pound Robinson because of his passionate persona on the bench. Robinson has returned that embrace to fans.
Here’s how messed up this Twitter thing is with Robinson: Before Game 7 against the Memphis Grizzlies on Sunday, Robinson was asked if Sonics fans had lightened up any about his tweet. The habitually loquacious Robinson didn’t want to talk about it. The man who never shuts up suddenly went silent. Certain Sonics fans no doubt will take perverse pleasure in that.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 16829OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 15402Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 12656Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 11727Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 9454Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 7777Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7628Two teacher programs at Oklahoma universities called ineffective
- 7109Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6861Train engineer's vision problems led to deadly Oklahoma wreck, NTSB rules
- 6397Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients