Oklahoma City Thunder: “Nasty” frenzy sweeps San Antonio
The Spurs turned nasty just in the nick of time. Now it’s the Thunder’s turn. Game 1 of the NBA’s Western Conference Finals went San Antonio’s way Sunday night. The Spurs won 101-98 after coach Gregg Popovich’s “I want some nasty” speech captured his team’s attention and his city’s fancy.
The Alamo City is abuzz about Popovich’s plea to his team, which inspired a Spurs comeback from a nine-point fourth-quarter deficit. They’re talking websites and T-shirts and restaurant menu changes about the latest motivational ploy from one of the greatest coaches in basketball history.
“I just wanted us to get off our heels,” Popovich said Monday. “I thought we were playing unconfidently, not in a very aggressive mode. We weren’t moving the ball, we were holding the ball, weren’t making quick decisions.”
In other words, a lot like the Thunder played in the fourth quarter. Which must change if the Thunder wants to return to Oklahoma City with the best-of-seven series tied. Game 2 is at 8 p.m. Tuesday in the Spurs’ AT&T Center.
“I think we played hard all four quarters until that last spurt, where we gave up points and didn’t move the ball,” said the Thunder’s James Harden. “It’s just about playing hard. We’ve just got to bounce back and be ready.”
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 14589OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 8609Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6402Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6393Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6018Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5816Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4098As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in
- 3659Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage after tall metal utility polls fall in northwest Oklahoma City
- 3653Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 3418Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients