Rapid reaction: Oklahoma City falls 121-118 to Denver in a wild one
By Anthony Slater – Aslater@opubco.com - @anthonyVslater
Oklahoma City’s six-game win streak came to a halt in wild fashion Sunday night, as the Thunder fell 121-118 in Denver Sunday night. Here’s some rapid reaction:
In a game that had as many twists and turns as fouls called (61), Denver took the game’s final lead on a Kenneth Faried layup with 46 seconds left, the definitive turning point in a game that had a countless number of them.
It was over when…
…Kevin Durant flung up an errant three with two seconds left, clanging off the back rim and officially ending a wild game that included 239 points, 46 turnovers, 61 fouls and 82 free throws.
Storyline – Westbrook and Durant’s inefficiency
The two Thunder stars combined for 73 points, 14 rebounds and 17 assists tonight, continuing their recent string of ridiculous productivity. Crazy numbers indeed, but they lost. And that can be explained with a few other pertinent figures: Westbrook and Durant combined to shoot 17/46 (36.9 percent) and committed 12 turnovers. Sloppiness and poor shot selection kept the Nuggets in this one. And doomed OKC in the end.
But it’s not like the superstars were getting any help. Thunder bench players not named Kevin Martin combined to play 29 minutes on Sunday night. And they scored zero points. The second unit isn’t giving much production and that’s a definite concern moving forward (especially as the trade deadline approaches).
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 18732Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 15952Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 10745How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 2753Oklahoma twister tracked path of 1999 tornado
- 2638Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 2099Twitter reaction from the sports world on the Moore/OKC tornadoes
- 1489Police: School near OKC directly hit by tornado
- 1234Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients