A closer look at the Thunder’s history against the Sacramento Kings
By Anthony Slater – Aslater@opubco.com - @anthonyVslater
The bitter basketball war between Oklahoma City and Seattle has an added component. The Sacramento Kings have become franchise number three in this complicated NBA love triangle.
From now until hoops eternity, if the solidified sale to Seattle comes true, these three will be forever intertwined. There’s no way around it.
So tonight’s game between the Thunder and Kings has become somewhat special. It’s likely the last time Kevin Durant and his crew stroll into Sacramento’s Arco Arena (or whatever they’re calling it now, I’ll always remember it as Arco). That is, unless the sale falls through or the two meet in this year’s playoffs. Both very unlikely. The Kings, at a struggling 16-27, are spiraling downward and the Maloof Brothers seem far out the door.
So instead of looking ahead at what should develop as one of the NBA’s most intriguing rivalries (OKC and Seattle), let’s take a quick look back at what has been a one-sided matchup between two franchises with little in common except this sudden connection to the Emerald City.
Thunder v Kings
First matchup - The Kings outlasted Oklahoma City in a wild overtime affair, winning 122-118 on February 1, 2009. And how about this for a twist? The star of the game was Kevin Martin, OKC’s current six man who was torching the net for Sacramento at the time. He had a game-high 37 points on 11/24 shooting. For OKC, the trio of Kevin Durant (33), Jeff Green (28) and rookie guard Russell Westbrook (34) combined for 95 points.
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17652Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
- 13467Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 11283Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 10735'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 10251Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 10005Dillon Overton rips former Sooners coach Sunny Golloway on Twitter
- 6673Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6352Oklahoma football: New assistant Bill Bedenbaugh discusses state of OU's offensive line
- 6100Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
- 5666OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients