Rapid reaction: Oklahoma City smokes Memphis 106-89
By Anthony Slater – Aslater@opubco.com - @anthonyVslater
The Thunder cruised past Memphis 106-89 in Oklahoma City on Thursday. Here’s some rapid reaction:
The Thunder made its first nine shots of the game. That’s the best start in OKC history and the most makes to begin a game by any NBA team this year. So essentially, it was over in the first few minutes, with the Thunder never trailing in the game.
It was over when…
…Memphis shipped Rudy Gay to Toronto a day before the game started. Now I’m not saying the Grizzlies are suddenly a borderline playoff team with a roster incapable of competing with OKC. But the sudden trade (which seemed to shock many of Memphis’ key players) basically handed this one to the Thunder on a silver platter. Gay’s 17.4 point per game average was gone and no one was here in time to replace him, with all the key pieces still caught up in post-trade semantics. The Grizzlies only suited up nine and none of them played with much energy.
Star of the game – Kevin Durant
It was a smooth and easy 27 points for Kevin Durant, who abused the undersized Tony Allen (a great defender who was a little out of his element guarding a sharpshooting superstar six inches taller than him). He went 10-of-16 from the field, consistently shooting down Memphis rallies with a perfect sense of when to take over the game.
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims
- 4195Oklahoma tornadoes: Lack of storm shelters floors newcomers to Tornado Alley
- 4147Woman's body found in Payne County; two arrested
- 4123OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients