Kevin Durant sued over nickname
BY RYAN ABER
A night before leading the Thunder into Game 5 of the NBA Finals, Kevin Durant was coping with being sued.
His nickname: “Durantula.”
Guitarist Mark Durante, who has played with Public Enemy, The Aliens, The Next Big Thing and others, filed a lawsuit against Durant, Nike and Panini Authentic in federal court in the Northern District of Illinois on Wednesday.
Durante claims he trademarked the name in 1993
According to the lawsuit, Durant’s representatives told Durante that “Kevin does not use the term as a nickname and has no intention of doing so,” according to the suit.
The lawsuit appears to be a longshot, according to the Chicago Tribune. Marc Reiner, chairman of the intellectual property group at Anderson Kill & Olick, told the paper the pair being in different fields could affect Durante’s claim.
“Trademark infringement is unlikely when the first user of the trademark is in music and the second is in sports, even thought there is some overlap between the two forms of entertainment,” Reiner, who is not involved in the case, told the Tribune.
The suit asks for damages and an injunction against Durant or the companies using the nickname.
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 14121OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 13945Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 8893Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6932Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5880Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5330Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 5280Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4654Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 4299Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 4082'Hatchet hitchhiker' arrested after attorney found dead
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients