Oklahoma City Thunder: Why isn’t Russell Westbrook getting whistles?
I got a great email today from a reader, Layne Jones, who asks a great question. Why isn’t Russell Westbrook shooting more foul shots in the NBA Finals. Through four games, Westbrook has shot 21 foul shots, 10 fewer than Dwyane Wade, even though he’s taken 20 more shots than Wade and has attacked the rim with at least the same ferocity.
It’s an excellent question. And Jones provided a bunch of data to further wonder what’s going on. Here’s his email:
“Berry, I’ve been reading all the complaints about the officiating and hearing all the complaining on the Animal. I fall into the category of this: the Thunder have had plenty of blown opportunities to be up 3-1 or worst case scenario, tied up at 2-2. Make FT’s and get a stop here and there and OKC would be guaranteed to host game 6 and probably 7. But I do believe the officiating is not consistent with what was called during the regular season. The difference is not with LeBron James getting calls, but with Dwayne Wade getting calls and Russell Westbrook not. Here are stats to back that up:
“Regular season average FTM/FTA: Westbrook – 5.2/6.3; Wade – 4.8/6.1.
“Postseason average: Westbrook – 4.1/5.2; Wade – 5.2/7.1
“Finals: “Westbrook is 17/21; Wade is 26/31.
“Here is the bothersome part for me: In Game 4, Westbrook took 16 shots in the lane and shot 3 FT’s. Wade took 7 shots in the lane and shot 9 FT’s. Wade is the master at initiating contact and going to the line. I know that he landed on his back for a no-call with Ibaka, but look at when Westbrook initiated contact with his FT jumper in the 4th qtr….No call. Wade has been getting calls in Miami and Westbrook hasn’t.
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 56551Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 34585Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 32288Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 9582Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 8789Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5674Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 3757OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 3628George Nigh has long been 'Four' Oklahoma
- 3382Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 3185Oklahoma weather:Tornado touches down in east Edmond
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients