Report: Thunder Forced To Forfeit Draft Pick
The 2013 second round draft pick that the Thunder acquired in a trade with Charlotte reportedly must be sent to Boston as punishment to Oklahoma City and compensation to the Celtics for last year’s Jeff Green trade.
According to Yahoo! Sports, the league has forced the Thunder to relinquish a second-round pick to the Celtics as a way of making amends for the medical issues that cost Green the 2011-12 season.
Just before the start of the season, Green was diagnosed with an aortic aneurysm, a condition that required season-ending surgery.
The Thunder had acquired a second-round pick from the Bobcats in a trade that sent Byron Mullens to Charlotte. The Bobcats finished with just seven wins this season, the fewest in the league, and are not expected to be much better next year. Therefore, the pick that the Thunder reportedly is relinquishing is likely to be a high second-round pick, potentially the 31st overall.
It’s unclear exactly why the Thunder has been forced to give up its pick. The report states Boston’s doctors “constructed a case to take to the NBA trying to show proof that Oklahoma City owed the Celtics some kind of compensation” after Green underwent surgery back in December.
In addition to Green, the Thunder also sent Nenad Krstic and a first-round pick to Boston in exchange for Kendrick Perkins and Nate Robinson.
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 4046At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 3397Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 3003How to help tornado victims
- 2509Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 1115Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 620Oklahoma twister tracked path of 1999 tornado
- 439Twitter reaction from the sports world on the Moore/OKC tornadoes
- 371Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 366Hospitals treat more than 120 after Oklahoma tornado
- 314OKC Thunder: Thunder stuck with worst-case scenario
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients