In His Own Words: Kevin Durant
Kevin Durant could no longer contain himself.
Shortly after the final buzzer sounded on the 2011-12 NBA season, signaling the Thunder’s five-game loss to the Heat in the Finals, Durant crumbled. He collapsed. Into the arms of his mother, Wanda, and his father, Wayne. He was crushed, and he let it all out. A camera stationed in the hallway caught it all. But Durant didn’t too much care. He recently explained why. His answer had everything to do with how much a championship meant to him and how much he wanted it.
Here is Kevin Durant describing that scene.
Personally, I really wanted it. I wanted it for the team and the city, first off. But the thing about me after that, I just saw how many people that always told me I was too young, too skinny, I would never make it, I’m overhyped, stuff like that, I wanted to get there and I wanted to win it just to kind of show people that I can do it and that I can lead a team. Unfortunately, they still can talk about me in that way and throw the rings jokes out there and all that. But it was just fun to get there. It was fun to have an opportunity to win it. But once you put your heart into something, and once you come in every day and sacrifice your body for your teammates, once you lose your emotions just take over. And that’s what happened after the game. I’m not ashamed of it. If it happens again, I’ll do the same thing. But I’ve been investing my time, my body in this since I was 8 years old. Once you put so much time into something like that then you’re entitled to cry. It’s all good for me.”
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17147Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 12600OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 11594'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 11336Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 9954Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
- 8356Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 8267Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 7063Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 6991Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6984Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients