Introducing the newest member of the OKC Thunder: Ronnie Brewer
By Anthony Slater – Aslater@opubco.com - @anthonyVslater
Eric Maynor’s three-and-a-half-year run in Oklahoma City is over. He was dealt to Portland for a trade exception on Thursday afternoon, leaving with these gracious parting words:
But, essentially in his place (although the acquisition came in a different trade), comes veteran small forward Ronnie Brewer, who the Knicks gave to OKC for a 2014 second-round pick.
Here’s Darnell Mayberry’s story on the two moves.
Neither deal rocks the headlines like some of the rumored trades floating around the past couple days. But this under the radar swap can do nothing but help OKC’s currently constructed roster. At least in the short term.
Maynor had been out of the rotation for two months, averaging career-lows in points (2.8), assists (2.0) and minutes per game (10.6), while only seeing the floor (mostly during garbage time) in 10 of the past 27 games. So the Thunder essentially lost nothing there.
Meanwhile Brewer, at least in theory, should provide rotation minutes when his defensive services are needed. He’s a 6-foot-7 lengthy wing who’s made a career out of willingly taking on tough perimeter assignments, harassing the Carmelo Anthonys and Kobe Bryants of the world.
So it’s an extra body to throw at wing scorers. And he’ll likely swallow up any DeAndre Liggins minutes, plus some, adding veteran help. But Thunder optimists, refrain from labeling him a LeBron Stopper. James has averaged 30.7 points in 15 career games against Brewer’s teams.
Anyway, here’s some pertinent info on your newest OKC hooper.
-He’s on Twitter @RonnieBrewerJr
-Brewer has averaged 8.4 points and 1.3 steals during an underrated seven-year NBA career, going from the Jazz to the Bulls to the Grizzlies to the Knicks.
-His best season was 2008-09, when he averaged 13.7 points and started 80 games for a 48-34 Jazz team.
-He was a star in college, playing three productive seasons for his hometown Arkansas Razorbacks. Here’s some highlights (side note – I love old college hoops highlights):
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 92690Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 17105OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 12852Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8967Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8623Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8590How to help tornado victims
- 8406Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located
- 8389Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 7225Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 7117Oklahoma tornadoes: Tornado leaves family members in two hospitals and one dead
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients