Thabo Sefolosha To Sign With Turkish Club
The Oklahoma City Thunder has temporarily lost its second player to an overseas club.
Starting shooting guard Thabo Sefolosha has agreed to play in Turkey. A Swiss television network first reported the deal Tuesday night. Sefolosha’s agent, Guy Zucker, confirmed the report to The Oklahoman.
Sefolosha will join the Turkish club Fenerbahce Ulker and is expected to sign as early as Wednesday. Because Sefolosha is under contract with the Thunder, his deal will contain an out clause with Fenerbahce that allows him to return to the NBA whenever the lockout is lifted.
Zucker said he had been in talks with Istanbul-based Fenerbahce for awhile, but Monday’s announcement that the NBA regular season’s first two weeks would be canceled made it an easy decision.
“These lockout talks are going nowhere and Thabo did not want to spend the whole season or most of the season sitting at home. He wanted to play,” Zucker said.
“It’s extremely difficult to predict if we’re going to get a quick solution or if it’s going to become a much more protracted battle with the owners regarding the new CBA. We wanted until the last moment and then that moment passed. Now they’re beginning to cancel games and this could last for quite sometime. So Thabo wanted to play and this was too good of an opportunity to pass up on.”
Fenerbahce, which competes in the Euroleague, has won back-to-back Turkish Cups and is considered one of the top organizations in Europe. The team’s new coach, Neven Spahija, is a respected coach who has won the Turkish title, Spanish title and Eurocup title with the Spanish club Valencia.
“He wasn’t going to play anywhere, but this opportunity was the best of both worlds,” Zucker said. “It allows him to play at the highest level of ball in the world right now while staying in shape and staying ready.”
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims
- 4195Oklahoma tornadoes: Lack of storm shelters floors newcomers to Tornado Alley
- 4147Woman's body found in Payne County; two arrested
- 4123OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients