Tim Duncan: What does it mean to the Thunder?
Throughout this offseason, we will do our best to keep up with trades and free-agent signings that could have a potential effect on the Thunder.
Today, it’s power forward Tim Duncan agreeing to a three-year, $36 million extension with the San Antonio Spurs:
What it means to the Spurs: Duncan is not the All-Star he once was, but he’s not far off, either. Some noted during the Western Conference Finals how much he had declined, yet he nearly averaged a double-double (17.0 points and 9.8 rebounds) against the Thunder. He’s Hall of Fame personified, with career averages of 20.3 points, 11.3 rebounds and four NBA titles. Had Duncan opted to play the free-agent market, I’m guessing at least half the league would have offered him $36 million for three years.
What it means to the Thunder: It means the Spurs remain among the NBA’s elite teams. Boris Diaw ($9 million for two years) and Danny Green ($11.3 million for three years) reportedly have agreed to terms and also will sign on July 11. The Thunder beating the Spurs four straight times was a superlative achievement. Disposing of San Antonio in such a manner should never be assumed. Winning the West will go through either OKC, LA (the Lakers, not Clippers) and good ‘ol San Antone.
- John Rohde
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 13571Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11780Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 5526Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5480Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4547OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 4292Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4042How to help tornado victims
- 3705Oklahoma tornadoes: Lack of storm shelters floors newcomers to Tornado Alley
- 3691Oklahoma tornadoes: Moore tornado was ninth deadliest in Oklahoma history
- 3323Woman's body found in Payne County; two arrested
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients