Oklahoma City Thunder: What does shot-blocking cost?
The Thunder would like to keep Serge Ibaka for more than just next season. But tons of speculation exists on what it costs. Ryan Weisert, a Phoenix Suns blogger (valleyofthesuns.com), went past that question. He looked at what shot-blocking costs. And we know that Ibaka is the NBA’s premier shot-blocker.
Weisert developed a study on what each measurable NBA skill costs. You can read his excellent blog here:
Here are the condensed rankings of each skill/status:
1. Face of the franchise (not every team has one; some teams have two. Weisert considers the Thunder to have two.)
2 Elite scorer (more than 25 points per game).
3. Second-tier scorer (18-25 points per game).
4. Elite rebounder (more than 9.5 per game) Weisert reports that NBA teams pay for rebounding in ways we never realized.
5. Second-tier rebounder (7.0-9.5 per game)
6. Rim protector (more than 1.5 blocks per game). Weisert says “supply and demand strikes again with this skill. A limited supply of elite shot blockers drives the price of rim protection way up.”
7. Third-tier scorer (13.5-18 points per game). Interesting. James Harden has not reached the 18-points-a-game level. By this measurement, Ibaka would cost more than Harden. Of course, contracts are mostly projections of what you will do, not necessarily what you have done.
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 11434Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11103Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9903Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8455Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4574Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4269Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4107OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3554How to help tornado victims
- 3541Oklahoma tornadoes: Moore tornado was ninth deadliest in Oklahoma history
- 3452Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients